Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Farm Fresh Peach Pie

Unfortunately, we do not have thriving peach trees yet. We have a few started in our "orchard", but we will not see any production for a while. So to supplement we buy from our local farmers market to fill our needs that we have not met yet. I will buy from a local farmer before I would buy from the local grocer. Unfortunately since I work every weekend out of the year I cannot get to a farmers market, but Josh was able to go with the kids. Something they all enjoy going to. We also needed to replenish our cabbage because we had deer wipe out our entire crop in one night. This is the first time in 4 years that this has happened. Suppose next year we may have to deer proof better. Josh makes wonderful sour kraut using an old fashioned 10 Gallon crock and a wooden stick. My daughter who is not fond of sour kraut helped out in the process!



Once it is ready we place a mason jar filled with water on top and cover tightly to keep those nasty lil pests from getting in while the fermentation begins.


I'm sure we will get a very good supply this year as we made double what we did last year, and we got over a dozen jars made.

With the bushel of peaches I made two peach pies. Such a treat as it is not often I get to make fruit pies. Too bad we didn't have homemade fresh goat milk ice cream! Maybe next year! The peaches were wonderfully ripe and ready. They smelled wonderful, and made a great pie.


                                               Peeled and cut
             
                                             The pits I'm hoping to plant

                                             The filling smells wonderful




                                            The finished product

I love when I prepare something that everyone enjoys. It makes the time and work I put into it that much better for me. Knowing that I can provide my family with farm fresh homemade goods is what this life is all about.


No comments:

Post a Comment